Drowning is the leading cause of death of young children in Florida. Additionally, drownings are a significant cause of death and serious personal injury in Florida’s population over the age of 65 years old, many of whom suffered from medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease or vision impairment.
During a recent 5 year period 420 children ages 1 through 4 years died in Florida drowning accidents with 208 of those drowning at home. Studies, including a United States Consumer Products Safety Commission study, have found that:
- Less than 2 percent of the drowning accidents involved children who were trespassers on the property.
- The majority of the pool drownings involved children who either lived at the property or were there visiting at the time (for things such as birthday parties) and that the child reached the pool unnoticed.
- There are 4 children who suffer severe brain injuries from nearly drowning in pool and spa accidents for every 1 that is killed.
- Children drowning in pools and spas cause immeasurable human suffering to the victims and their families.
- Children drownings cost the people of Florida $73.5 million a year in legal and administrative expenses alone every year.
- It costs more than $4.5 million to care for a child with severe brain injury from a near drowning accident during their lifetime.
The Miami pool & spa accident lawyers at Payer & Associates are committed to aggressively representing victims, and their families, who are seriously injured in pool and spa accidents and drownings in Miami and Fort Lauderdale. For more than 20 years the attorneys at Payer & Associates have been representing pool and spa accident victims and their families with aggressive legal representation in order to get the maximum financial recovery possible for their injuries and other damages.
How to Hold a Property Owner Accountable for a Pool Accident or Drowning in South Florida
South Florida has thousands of pools and spas for our residents and millions of visitors to enjoy year round. These pools and spas are found behind private residences, at hotels, community centers and many condominiums and apartment complexes. While pools are fun to enjoy on a hot South Florida day they can be very dangerous and sometimes cause severe injuries and even death to their victims.
Many people are seriously injured or killed in pool and spa accidents in Miami and Fort Lauderdale when the pools and spas are poorly maintained, have a defective design, defective product, such as pool pump or pool drain cover or are improperly supervised or secured to prevent those injuries. As a result, most drowning and pool and spa accident cases result in claims for money damages against the following parties: 1) Property Owner; 2) Property Management Company; 3) Pool Maintenance Company, 4) Pool Design Company; 5) Pool Installation Company; 5) Pool Equipment Manufacturer; and 6) Pool Equipment Distributor.
Swimming pool and spa accidents including drowning accidents are devastating accidents that result in life long injuries such as spinal cord injuries including paralysis, brain trauma, fractures and sometimes death from drowning. These injuries can cause millions of dollars in medical expenses and other damages that the victim should not have to bear. Our Miami pool & spa accident lawyers can assist you if you know someone that has suffered due to negligence.
Call Payer & Associates if you are injured in a swimming pool accident in Miami
The experienced premises liability attorneys at Payer & Associates are available to help guide you after a pool or spa accident or drowning 24 hours a day 7 days a week with offices located in Miami and Fort Lauderdale. All consultations are with our attorneys are always free and 100% confidential. If you’ve been injured or lost a loved one in a pool or spa accident contact Payer & Associates today for the aggressive legal representation you deserve.